Eastern Conference Finals Preview
The Hurricanes and Bruins are getting ready to kick off their Eastern Conference Finals series tonight in Boston. So the question is, who has the edge? Let’s take a look and see.
Carolina Hurricanes vs Boston Bruins
Thursday, May 9, 8 p.m.: Hurricanes @ Bruins | NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
Sunday, May 12, 3 p.m.: Hurricanes @ Bruins | NBC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
Tuesday, May 14, 8 p.m.: Bruins @ Hurricanes | NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
Thursday, May 16, 8 p.m.: Bruins @ Hurricanes | NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
*Saturday, May 18, 7:15 p.m.: Hurricanes @ Bruins | NBC, SN, CBC, TVA Sports
*Monday, May 20, 8 p.m.: Bruins @ Hurricanes | NBCSN, SN1, CBC, TVA Sports
*Wednesday, May 22, 8 p.m.: Hurricanes @ Bruins | NBCSN, SN360, CBC, TVA Sports
Keys to the Series
- The Hurricanes could use to take advantage of Charlie McAvoy missing game one with a suspension for a hit to the head of Columbus’ Josh Anderson. If they can get game one it helps them neutralize Boston’s home ice advantage right off the bat. That could serve Carolina very well.
- Play Physical, the Bruins have had two long series in a row, and the Hurricanes are coming off of a series sweep. Make the tired Bruins feel the pain.
- Goaltending will be critical for the Hurricanes, they have been using both of their goalies. I am not sure that is a recipe for success, but it has gotten them this far.
- For the Bruins, the key will be to wear down Carolina physically. The Hurricanes have a good amount of speed so the Bruins best chance to neutralizing that is by playing the body. The Hurricanes have shown in the past that they do not like getting knocked around. The Bruins have the size and speed to match up with the Hurricanes well.
- The Hurricanes have not played in over a week, they might not have their skating legs, so this could be a great chance for the Bruins to jump on the ‘Canes in game one of the series.
- Tuukka Rask, he is always a key to the Bruins success and that became even more evident in the Columbus series where he was outstanding against the Blue Jackets. The Bruins need him to be sharp this series too since Carolina is built on offense for Rask needs to be aware of what is coming, he struggled in the regular season against Carolina allowing 5 goals in his only game against the Hurricanes. For his career, however, Rask is 9-4-3 with a 2.27 GAA and a .928 Saves%.
Boston in Six. The Bruins win this in six games. They are just too skilled and too physical for the Hurricanes. Plus if Tuukka Rask can keep up his fine goaltending then it is hard for anyone to beat the Bruins at this point. The way for Carolina to beat Boston would be to use their speed and bury their shots. The ‘Canes just do not have the depth to match the Bruins. The Bruins have a deep team that can roll out four lines. The Hurricanes don’t. I almost went with the Bruins in five games but I respect the Hurricanes too much to say such a small number of games.